Applications for the 2013 Summer Fellowship program are now open.
Summer Fellows Selection Process
Successful candidates will progress through four rounds during the selection process:
- Application Screening
- 30-45 minute Phone Interview with a New Sector program alumna/us
30 minute Phone or In-person Interview with New Sector staff
- New Sector is not able to refund travel expenses for interviews and does not penalize candidates who interview by phone
- Reference checks with at least two professional references
Candidates selected from this process will then receive an offer to participate in the New Sector Summer Fellows program. In accepting our offer, candidates accept an offer to the program as a whole, and not to any one particular host site or project.
Successful candidates will officially be enrolled in the program following their successful “match” with a host site organization by or before May 15, 2013.
Completing the Application
To complete the application, you will be asked to submit basic educational and demographic information, as well as upload three documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format:
- Your resume
- A cover letter
A writing sample answering the following question in 300 words or less:
- How will your participation in a New Sector AmeriCorps program fit your broader social change goals? (Note that if you have a pre-existing piece on the topic of your interest in social change or impact, you may upload even if it exceeds 300 words.)
Important Application Dates
- November 1, 2012: Applications open
- December 14, 2012: Deadline for Round 1 applicants
- December 16, 2012 - February 29, 2013: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis; offers will be made within 2.5 months whenever possible, and by May 1, 2013
- March 1, 2013: Selected Round 1 applicants will receive offers
- March 1, 2013: Deadline for Round 2 applicants
- May 5, 2013: Selected Round 2 applicants will receive offers (all else on a rolling basis)
- The Fellow matching process will begin April - May, 2013.
After accepting our offer, accepted candidates will interview with potential host sites of New Sector's choosing. Feedback to New Sector from host site interviews and incoming program participants will be the determining factors in making program participant offers. It is likely that each accepted program participant will end up at one of his or her preferred host sites, but it is in no way guaranteed that even the most qualified applicant will end up at his or her first choice site.
Release of Information
To facilitate participant selection and matching, New Sector may share candidates' resumes with potential host sites and volunteer Mentors. If candidates have any questions or concerns about this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Inquiries can be sent to email@example.com. Please no calls.
The New Sector Summer Fellowship program is supported by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
New Sector Alliance actively seeks to build Residency and Fellowship classes with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, representing a diversity of race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, secular preference, political affiliation, socioeconomic status, and ancestry. Further, we encourage individuals with disabilities to apply to the program and can provide reasonable accommodations for those individuals upon request. For additional assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.